Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Say Something


                                                                                                   MISS MARIA PURIFICACION R. RAZON
10-KATARUNGAN                                                                                                           AUGUST 16, 2016


I.                    TITLE OF THE SONG:
Say Something

II.                  NAME OF COMPOSER/S:
Ian Axel is an American singer and songwriter. After becoming well-known with his song "This Is the New Year", he developed a solo career, eventually joining forces with long-time writing partner, Chad King to form the duo band, A Great Big World in 2012 and won the Grammy for Best Pop Duo/Group performance in 2014.

Chad King is a member of a musical duo known as A Great Big World who became well known for their singles "This is the New Year" and "Say Something.  He grew up with one brother in Port Charlotte, Florida. He was born on July 10, 1985.

Mike Campbell (born February 1, 1950) is an American guitarist, songwriter, and record producer, best known for his work in Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

III.                CHOSEN PART:
And I will swallow my pride
You're the one that I love
And I'm saying goodbye
I chose this part of the song because it catches my attention about the message that is being implied there. We can truly gauge ourselves If who we really are whenever this kind of challenge comes our way. If I may, I would rather be opting to set that woman free for I knew that she no longer cares about me. I would give her all what she wants. Anyway, it’s the happiness that she would like to long for.

IV.                MY PERSONAL INTERPRETATION:
As I comprehend, I would like to regard that this song tells a story about an imminent breakup of a one sided love affair. I could sense that one of the couple is quite impassive on the personification of a lady because she found later that she is not yet ready for love, in which the reason is only known to her. My observation is based on a couple of lines from the song that I would like to demonstrate and they state:
 "I'm still learning to love
Just starting to crawl"

We can truly see if how really a man is in love with the lady and he patiently waited that this lady would make an attempt to show that she still cares about him so that separation can be prevented. He even tried like begging so many times just the lady should speak up with honesty about if what really is the real score between them because they couldn’t go on with their lives with a communication gap that will make them losers.  His appeal has only fallen into deaf ear. The lines below express the thought.
Say something, I'm giving up on you
I'll be the one, if you want me to
Anywhere, I would've followed you
Say something, I'm giving up on you

Time and again, the guy sees that she is not doing something to save their relationship so the man was forced to says again “I’m sorry that i couldn’t get to you” means that I’m sorry i have failed again to convince you to make a change. So there is nothing more left to a man to do but he has to decide now that he should give freedom to the one he loves because, what remains between them is no longer viable. It is hard for him to go separate ways for he still loves this woman but to set her free is the rational thing for him to do, and set aside his pride to prevent further embarrassment and accept everything including breakup with open mind and move forward, which he did with heavy heart. As the song goes:
And I will swallow my pride
You’re the one that I love
And I’m saying goodbye

V.                  ITS CONNECTION TO MY LIFE:
I was once in love with a girl who was very dear to me. It was not a perfect love affair because sometimes we had differences but I saw to it that they must be settled before the next morning had broken. Some had been failed but most of them were fixed. Until later it seemed that this love brought more harm than good. She no longer cared about me I knew it by heart, so I gave her the dose of her own medicine. Reality bites that we have to reckon with.

No comments:

Post a Comment